Share Your Pioneer Story
We’d love to hear about it! Submit it through our contact form.
As the Pioneer Village is free and open to the public, the very survival of the Pioneer Village is dependent on our wonderful volunteers. We invite anyone interested to apply for a volunteer position. We have three types of volunteers who each make a valuable contribution. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact us.
This person is responsible for opening and closing the village, welcoming visitors, maintaining the guest registry, and village security.
Docent / Tour Guide
Docents interpret the Village for the visitors. It is the docents that appear in period dress and truly make the Pioneer Village’s history come alive.
This person demonstrates and teaches a specialized skill such as woodworking, tatting, knitting, or blacksmithing. They add richness and depth by showing visitors how the pioneers used their skills to survive.
We have several internship opportunities for students who would like to receive college credit while volunteering at the Pioneer Village. The scope, subject, and time commitment are flexible, and prospective interns can write their own job description under the direction of their supervising professor and the Pioneer Village Director. Prospective interns should contact us via our contact page.
Major tasks we have identified include:
- Collections Management: An inventory of the museum collections is an ongoing and important need. We have set up an database and we are carefully identifying and cataloging each artifact. Most interns should expect to devote at least some of their time to this ongoing project.
- Collections Research: We have limited history on most of the items in the village. It would be most helpful to research both individual artifacts as well as classes of artifacts as to their use, manufacture date, and acquisition in the village.
- Collections Care: Proper handling and storage of artifacts will be taught on the job. Interns should expect to be included in routine cleaning of buildings and artifacts, plus monitoring for pests, light, and water damage.
- Materials: We are in need of improved handouts and other supplementary visitor materials, especially those that cater to children and teens.
- Docents: Interns who would like to spend most of their internship as a gatekeeper, docent, or crafts person are always welcome.
- Marketing: We have made efforts to advertise and reach out to the community, but these efforts need to be strengthened.
- Administrative: The Village needs support in its grant writing, filing, and website tasks.
- Restoration: Interns who are skilled in building, wagon, or artifact work are welcome. Restoration on our current buildings and artifacts is ongoing.